Friday, March 15, 2013

Psych 101


Any psych student (or person with a few years under their belt) will tell you that when you go through a big event in your life you will spend time on an emotional roller coaster.
It could be a new baby on the way, a graduation, a move to another area or a diagnosis of an illness.  It could be Alzheimer’s, diabetes, eczema, or cancer.  And it may be happening to you or someone you know or love.

Welcome to my coaster! 

I can tell you that there are other factors that play a part in that ride.  When I don’t sleep well for a few nights the rolls seem rollier.  If I haven’t been eating regularly or balanced meals, things aren’t as smooth as they could be. (When I start feeling sorry for myself I might pick up a couple of cream filled donuts from Dunkin, or a coke and fries from Mickey D’s.  Yes, that spoon in the Nutella might be mine.)

“Not knowing” causes anxiety.  Not knowing what the tests will reveal.  Not knowing how quickly I will recover.  Not knowing if I will lose my balance more easily. 

But then again, when I remember who has control of my life I get my footing back. (It’s not me in control!) When I get your messages of love and encouragement I stop thinking about the unpleasant things that might happen and spend more time counting my blessings and praying for the saints.

My tests yesterday afternoon took a long time, but weren’t painful or even very unpleasant.

When I got home the doc had left a message to give me the results of the biopsy. I will talk to him later today and get the whole low down including the results from yesterday.

How am I doing?  Aside from this bad haircut and a big zit in the middle of my forehead, I’m doing pretty well today!

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

No comments:

Post a Comment