Sunday, March 17, 2013

Aunt. Cousins! Daughters?


I have been thinking about my family and breast cancer.  I never really put all this together until now.

I have an aunt who had breast cancer, and her daughter, my cousin has been dealing with it as well.  Recently I found out that another cousin, whom I don’t know well, was diagnosed last fall and has been in treatment since then.  These two cousins and I share the same grandmother, but three different children of this grandmother were our parents.   We have two additional uncles.

My mother doesn’t have it and Grandma didn’t have it.  One cousin, the daughter of one of the uncles,   is in her early thirties and I don’t know much about the children of the other uncle. 

I have been doing family history research since 1974 and never put all this illness together.  I think it might be time to talk to my family members and create a more complete health genealogy.  I have heard that there are tests now that might be done to help the next generation find out what their risk level is.

While I am concerned and curious about how this will impact my daughter, and the daughters of Nancy and Barbara, my cousins, right how I take comfort in the knowledge that we, the cousins, have relationships with the living God who loves us, and I pray that our daughters will also grow close to Him.  Our lives are in His hands, and He is gracious.

Isaiah 43:1-4
I have called you by name and you are mine
When you pass through the waters I will be with you
And through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you
When you walk through the fire you shall not be burned
And the flame shall not consume you
For I am the Lord your God
The Holy one of Israel, Your Savior
….Because you are precious in my eyes…and honored…and I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment